United States Army Logo
Images of Soldiers GoArmyEd Logo



GoArmyEd Information Portal for Camp Stanley Education Center


Area I, Education Division

                                      Learn About Army Continuing Education System (ACES)   

Contact Numbers for Camp Red Cloud Education Center   
         Admin:         732-6329    
         Testing:        732-7816                                                 
         Counselor:    732-6862
         MLF:            732-6833 
         Central Texas College:  732-7268 
         University of Maryland University College:  732-7134
         Education Services Officer (ESO):  732-7015 
Contact Numbers for Camp Stanley Army Learning Center 

         Admin:          732-4603 
         Testing:         732-5541 
         Counselor:     732- 5025 
         MLF:             732-6888
         Central Texas College:  732- 5542 
         University of Maryland University College:  732- 5543 
         Education Services Officer (ESO): 732-7015
Contact Numbers for Camp Casey Army Learning Center
         Admin:         730- 6859
         Testing:        730-3114
         Counselor:    730-6855
         MLF:            730-6888
         Central Texas College:  730-6854
         University of Maryland University College:  730-6852
         Education Services Specialist (ESS):  730-6858
Contact Numbers for Camp Hovey Army Learning Center
      Admin:           730-161   
       Testing:          730-5397
       Counselor:      730-5252
       MLF:              730-5654
       Central Texas College:  730-5158
       University of Maryland University College:  730-5160
       Education Services Specialist (ESS):  730-6858



To facilitate Lifelong Learning by providing quality, innovative, and diverse education and training opportunities.


To provide quality educational opportunities for Area I service members, and other authorized personnel, by actively promoting self-development and life-long learning for those who perform or support the military mission. To Provide and manage quality services within a state-of-the-art continuing education system.


1. Provide excellent customer service
2. Develop and implement a standardized evaluation process
3. Develop and implement effective marketing strategies

4. Utilize technology to develop, deliver, support, and manage education programs.

5. Develop an accountability checklist for Education Centers and Army Learning Centers.

6. Foster partnerships

7. Provide efficient and effective counseling

8. Recruit, develop, and sustain a professional workforce.



The Reception Station is usually the first stop for individuals visiting a center.  That station is operated by a knowledgeable person who provides general information and guidance on the many programs and services available in the center.  Additionally, various types of general administrative paperwork and actions can be completed by the receptionist to include clearing Soldiers, making appointments for certain services, and distributing informational materials (i.e. Education Services Brochure, college schedules, FAST and college term dates, and testing brochures, etc.).  The receptionist also assists Counselors by referring clients to them in a timely manner.

Army Education Centers and Army Learning Centers provide a broad spectrum of education counseling services.  Professional Education Counselors are available to provide career developmental, vocational, and educational counseling and assistance on all Army Continuing Education Services (ACES) programs and services, many of which are listed in this brochure.   Although final responsibility for program and course selection rests with the individual, it is the responsibility of each counselor to interpret requirements and provide professional guidance which will help individuals make wise and informed choices. To talk with an Army Education Counselor about any ACES programs or services, contact your supporting center.


              Free testing is available to all active duty military personnel serviced by an Areas I Education Center, and certain tests are also available to other authorized DoD personnel; however, they must pay a fee.  All testing services are offered at each of the four Centers, except Camp Hovey.  Personnel at Hovey must go to Camp Casey to take DANTES and Army Personnel tests.  Testing is only by counselor referral and appointment.   Contact your supporting center for information, registration, and referral.  Your counselor will also help you arrange an appropriate testing program that will maximize your time and education benefits.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP tests are widely accepted by colleges and universities.  By achieving a score established by the Academic Institution the person plans to attend, he/she can earn one-third, or more, of the credits required for a college degree.  These exams are available in many subject areas, and are similar to end of course examinations offered by many colleges and universities

 CLEP General Examinations: 

It is possible to earn as many as 30 semester hours of college credit by achieving required scores on CLEP General Examinations.  The CLEP General consists of five tests:  English Composition with or without essay; Social Science & History; Natural Sciences; Humanities; and College Mathematics.  The tests cover material usually taught in most college freshmen and sophomore courses.  A person has 90 minutes to complete each test.  Many Academic Institutions accept these tests as credit for specific courses, if the person achieves a score that is the same as, or higher than the cutoff score established by the Academic Institution.

  CLEP Subject Examinations: 

CLEP Subject Examinations measure knowledge of basic concepts, principles, relationships, and applications involved in college courses with the similar titles.  The American Council on Education (ACE) recommends 3 semester hours of credit for most of the CLEP Subject examinations with some recommended for 6 or even 12 semester hours. 

 Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), DANTES Subject Standardization Test (DSST)

The DANTES Subject Standardized Testing Program is an extensive series of examinations in college subjects that are comparable to the final or end-of-course examination in undergraduate courses. ACE recommends three college credits for each examination.

 Excelsior College Examinations (ECE): 

Most ECE tests are objective multiple-choice questions.  Some are entirely essay.  The majority of tests cover subject matter typical of undergraduate-level courses.  All of the tests examine not only facts and terminology, but also the application of essential concepts and skills.  ACE recommends between 3 and 8 semester hours of credit for ECE tests depending on the level of knowledge being measured.

 ACT Assessment Program: 

The ACT Assessment test is an admission requirement at some colleges.  The ACT Assessment instrument consists of a battery of four academic tests that measure academic development in English, Mathematics, Reading, and Science Reasoning.  The ACT Assessment provides scores on the four tests, a composite score, and seven sub scores that provide more detailed information concerning an individual’s academic development.

  Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT): 

The SAT is used as a college admission requirement and student placement instrument at some colleges.  SAT scores provide colleges with a way to compare academic preparation and abilities of students who apply for admission.  SAT, when used in conjunction with high school grades and class rank, serves as a good predictor of academic success in the first year of college.

 Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)

The GMAT is a computer-adaptive test (CAT) available through National and International Test Centers only.

 Graduate Record Examinations (GREs)

The GRE General is a computer-based test (CBT) available through National and international Test Centers only. The GRE Subject Tests are paper-based tests and except for Camp Hovey, are available through your supporting center.

   Law School Admission Test (LSAT)

The LSAT is not funded by DANTES but assistance in obtaining an opportunity to take this test, can be obtained through your supporting center.

  Praxis Series

  Praxis I: 

Some states require students entering college-level teacher-preparation programs to pass these exams while others use them as teacher licensure exams.  The Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST) consists of three separate tests:  Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. 

Praxis II:

  Some states use these tests to credential or certify teachers to teach in a specific area.  Praxis offers more than 120 tests in specific subjects and specialties.

  .  Licensure and Certification

              More than 50 nationally recognized certification examinations are available to eligible military personnel through their supporting Education Center, or Army Learning Center.  Certification provides recognition of skills you have learned and are able to demonstrate a high level of professional competence.   

  Army Personnel Testing

Army Personnel Testing (APT) tests are administered to active and reserve personnel.  Civilians may test if required by CPAC or referred by an Army Recruiter.  Soldiers initiate requests for testing by submitting a DA Form 4187 (Personnel Action Form), and an ERB/ORB, certified by the local Personnel Services Battalion (PSB),  containing the information required for administration of the particular test.  Tests included are:

a. Typing Test.

b.  Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB)

  c.  Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT)

  d.  Auditory Perception Test, Army Analysis Aptitude Test (AAAT)

  e.  Armed Forces Classification Test (AFCT)

  f.  Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection Test (AFAST)
a.  End of Course Examines:  As designed by Academic Institutions
b.  Masters & Phd Comps:  Proctor Masters and PhD Comps for Soldiers and other authorized personnel as directed by Academic Institutions
c.  GED:  GED tests allow individuals to earn a high school equivalence diploma or certificates.  The GED test covers five academic areas:  Language Arts, Writing; Social Studies; Science; Language Arts, Reading; and Mathematics.  DANTES provides the GED Tests to military personnel at overseas and some CONUS installations
d.  TABE, Pre and Post:  TABE is a test that is used as a placement (pretest) and improvement (post-test) instrument for Soldiers and other authorized personnel who enroll in FAST courses.  It is given to each enrollee a maximum of six months prior to enrolling in a FAST course, and immediately upon completion of the course.  The post-TABE is also used to make recommendations as to whether a Soldier will achieve his/her desired score on the AFCT.
e.  Distance Learning Exams (to include eArmyU & eCourse):
Proctor examinations that Soldiers and other authorized personnel are required to take as a requirement for successful completion of a distance learning course.  This includes eArmyU and eCource.
f.  ALCPT:  ALCPT is a test that is given to local nationals to measure their English Language skills.  It is a test that is requested by CPAC/CPOC and Labor Service Commanders.  The score obtained by each person is recorded and forwarded to the requesting agency.
Central Texas College

AA    General Studies

AAS  Criminal Justice
         Computer Science
         Functional Academic     
         Skills/NCO LEAD
University Of Maryland University College

AA    General Studies
         Computer Studies

BA/BS  Business and Mgt
            Computer Studies/
            Information System Mgt
University of Phoenix
Masters    Education
                Buss Administration
University of Oklahoma
Masters   Buss Administration
Troy University
Masters   International Relations
  When a person is not able to participate in classroom education programs or a desired course is not available locally, the person may consider enrolling in a distance learning course.  The DANTES Independent Study Catalog and the DANTES Catalog of Nationally Accredited Distance Learning Programs list high school, vocational/technical, under-graduate, and graduate level courses and programs from accredited Academic Institutions.  Today, most Academic Institutions have a distance learning program.  For people who enroll in Distance Learning courses that require the use of a computer, they may use computers that are available to them in MLFs.


  The eArmyU program is now an Army-wide distance learning program that is used as an incentive for willing enlisted Soldiers to reenlist for duty in combat forces transforming units, as will be defined by senior leaders.  When a Soldier reenlists the In Service Recruiter will offer him/her an opportunity to enroll in eArmyU.  If otherwise eligible, the Soldier must agree to remain on active duty for three years, and must successfully complete 12 semester hours of college during that three year period.  He/she will also be issued a laptop computer.
  The eCourse program is a distance learning program that is Army-wide for enlisted Soldiers who have, or have access to a computer.  There is no course enrollment requirement, no remaining service requirement, and no required completion of Semester Hour of college during a designated period of time.  A Soldier only has to get the approval of his/her commander and his/her ACES counselor.  Computers in MLFs meet the requirement for enrollment in eCourse.

Multi-use Learning Facilities (MLF)
Each Education Center and Army Learning Center in Area I has a MLF.  They are located at the following Camps:   
   Camp Red Cloud
   Camp Stanley
   Camp Casey
   Camp Hovey
Each MLF is equipped with computers, and each computer is connected to the internet.  Interested personnel can also access DoD and DA publications.
These MLFs may be used by service-members, DoD civilians, adult family members and any student who is attending courses at a center.
Service-members Opportunity College (SOC)
   SOC is a consortium of more that 1,500 Academic Institutions that functions in cooperation with DoD to help meet the voluntary educational needs of service-members.  It seeks to stimulate and help the higher education community understand and respond to special needs of service-members.
  SOCAD is a degree program for Soldiers that is coordinated by SOC.  It consists of groups of accredited Academic Institutions that offer degree programs that are on, or accessible to Army Installations.  Within common course categories, member colleges guarantee the acceptance of each others credit in transfer.  There are two sub-programs to SOCAD, they are SOCAD2 and SOCAD4.
   SOCAD2:  Is an Associate Degree system that consists of 80 Academic Institutions with 30 curriculum networks.
   SOCAD4:  A Baccalaureate Degree system that consists of 68 Academic Institutions with 25 curriculum networks.  When going from a SOCAD2 Associate Degree to a SOCAD4 Baccalaureate Degree, Academic Institutions, with appropriately paired SOCAD degrees, 45 percent of earned credits are guaranteed to transfer.
Troops to Teachers (TTT)
   Troops to teachers is a U.S. Department of Education/ Department of Defense program that was designed to encourage, and assist qualified military personnel in becoming teachers in public schools upon separation from the service.  In spite of the fact that this is a joint program, it is managed by DANTES.  Some states have established TTT Offices to provide interested personnel specific information about the application of this program in their state.  Contact your supporting Education Center or Army Learning Center for additional information, and the submission of an application.
Spouses to Teachers (STT)
   Spouse to Teachers is a U.S. Department of Education/ Department of Defense program that was designed to encourage, and assist qualified military spouses in becoming teachers in public schools.  In spite of the fact that this is a joint program, it is managed by DANTES.  Some states have established TTT/STT Offices to provide interested personnel specific information about the application of this program in their state.  Contact your supporting Education Center or Army Learning Center for additional information, and the submission of an application.
Green to Gold
   The Army's ROTC Green to Gold Scholarship Program provides financial assistance for the education and training of highly qualified and highly motivated young men and women through a process of elimination.  Selected personnel attend college and earn a baccalaureate degree, or a master's degree, on an ROTC scholarship.  Upon graduation from college the person will be commissioned an officer in the US Army.  There are 2, 3 and 4 year programs.  A Soldier may choose one of two Green to Gold programs.  One is to remain on active duty while attending college and the other is to be discharged from Active Duty for the sole purpose of enrolling in college as an Army ROTC scholarship cadet.  Interested personnel should see their education counselor for additional information.
Credentialing Opportunities On Line (COOL)
   Soldiers can meet civilian certification and license requirements related to their military Occupational Specialties (MOSs).  If interested, use COOL to:
   a. Get background information regarding civilian licensure and certification.
   b. Identify licenses and certification relevant to your MOS.
   c. Learn how to fill gaps between Army training, experience, and civilian credentialing requirements.
   d. Learn about resources available to Soldiers that can help them gain civilian job credentials.
   e. Get promotion points for credentials.
Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS)
   The Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcripts System (AARTS) is an automated Transcripting system designed to help registrars, admission officers, counselors, and deans award Soldiers and veterans credit for learning experiences gained while in the Army.  It is also a useful tool for employers for interviewing and job placement purposes.
   There are several financial aid programs available to Soldiers.  The most popular and the one that is used most frequently is tuition assistance, followed by Veterans Education Benefits, Federal Student Aid, and aid from private organizations.  There is also aid for adult family members of which the most popular is Federal Student Aid, followed by Spouse Education Assistance Program, and aid from private organizations.
1.  GoArmyEd & Tuition Assistance
   GoArmyEd is a Web based education management system that gives Soldiers more flexibility and responsibility for the management of their education program.  It becomes effective on 1 April 2006.  On that date GoArmyEd became the only way a Soldier can request and use Army Tuition Assistance (TA).  The first step for a Soldier is to obtain a GoArmyEd ID and password.  This can be accomplished by going to www.goarmyed.com and providing the requested information.  He/she must be sure to follow the step-bu-step instructions when providing the requested information.  Then print the required STATEMENT of UNDERSTANDING.  (A copy of the STATEMENT of UNDERSTANDING can also be obtained from the supporting Education Center, or Army Learning Center).  This STATEMENT of UNDERSTANDING must be signed by the Soldier and his/ her commander.  It must be taken to the supporting center to recorded in GoArmyEd and uploaded into the Soldiers eFile. This STATEMENT of UNDERSTADING is good for 12 months.  Soldiers are then able to open his/her GoArmyEd record 24/7 and review their entire education history.  They will be able to make certain authorized changes, initiate certain actions and request other actions and services.  There will be no requirement to contact the supporting center or Commander to enroll in college courses, or withdraw from them.  The Soldier retains this authority 12 months after the GoArmyEd ID and password are received, and the STATEMENT of UNDERSTANDING has been recorded in GoArmyEd and up-loaded into their eFile.  After nine months the Soldier will receive an E-Mail advising that the current STATEMENT of UNDERSTANDING will expire in three months and a new one is required.  Upon submission of the new STATEMENT of UNDERSTANDING the Soldier will retain the ability to exercise flexibility and responsibility over their education program.

  Currently, the Army authorizes each Soldier $4500.00 each fiscal year for.  They are allowed to spend up to $250.00 per semester hours.  For most undergraduate Academic Institutions and some Graduate Institutions, this equates to 100% of the TA cost.  However, if TA is more than $250.00 a semester hour, and the Soldier has the Montgomery GI Bill, he/ she can use Top-up to pay the difference.  Like wise, if a Soldier has used all of his/her  $4,500.00 for a fiscal year, and has the Montgomery GI Bill, he/ she can use the Montgomery GI Bill to pay for courses.  If a Soldier uses TA, and fail or a course for personal reasons (reasons that are within his/her control), or receive a final grade of F, he/she must reimburse the Army.  If failure is for reasons beyond the Soldiers control (TDY, emergency leave, hospitalization) he/she will not have to reimburse the Army.
Under these circumstances it is recommended that Soldier obtain a statements, signed by his/her immediate commander and the first 05 in his/her chain of command explains why failure was beyond the Soldiers control and up-load them into their GoArmyEd eFile for future reference.

2.  Veterans Affairs (VA) Programs

 There is only one VA Education program currently open to Soldiers; it is the Montgomery GI Bill.  A Soldier entering active duty is automatically enrolled in the Montgomery GI Bill program, unless he/she signs DoD Form 2366 specifically stating that he/she does not want to participate in the program.  A participating Soldier is required to contribute $100.00 a month for 12 months.  For this $1,200.00 contribution, a Soldier may attend school for 36 months and the VA will pay him/her each month.  Soldiers may make an additional $600.00 contribution and increase their monthly authorized benefits by $650.00 that will be prorated over 36 months of authorized schooling.  A Soldier may use his/her Montgomery GI Bill benefits while on active duty, after completion of their first enlistment.  A Soldier has 10 years after his/her last separation from the Army to use their Montgomery GI Bill Education Benefits.

3.  Federal Student Aid

   The Department of Education offers financial aid in the form of grants and loans to Soldiers and their family members.  Eligibility is based on the financial needs of the student.  Contact your Education Counselor for additional information and processing of an application.

4.  AER Spouse Education Assistance Program

   The AER Spouse Education Assistance Program is for dependent spouse of active duty Soldiers assigned to Korea, their spouses must be here with them.  (An active duty spouse' is not eligible).  AER Spouse Education Assistance will awarded up to half the cost of tuition per term based on financial need, as evidenced by income, assets, family size, special financial obligations, and circumstances.  A spouse may be awarded up to $400.00 per academic term, with a maximum of $2,000.00 per academic year.  The spouse must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 grading scale to continue receiving the TA.
Quick Links

Visit Army Continuing Education System (ACES)...

Information posted to My Ed Center may include text or links to existing information about the following:

  • Hours of operation
  • On-post colleges, class offerings, and programs
  • Special events, education, and career fairs
  • Help resources and points of contact
  • A picture of the Ed Center and staff
  • Additional services provided by Education Center
  • Information about local testing center (e.g., for scheduling proctored exams)
  • Local FAQs
Quick Links